For 4-6 people or to eat for several meal times
- 500g brown (or red) lentils
- 6-8 diced potatoes
- 1kg carrots
- 3 tomatoes (or one tin of tomatoes)
- 1 pepper
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- Vegetable broth, salt, pepper, paprika
- Apple cider vinegar
- Wash lentils with sieve
- Peel and dice potatoes and carrots
- Cut 1 pepper up (and tomatoes)
- Place the lentils and veggies in a big pot until everything is just covered
- Add one table spoon of vegetable broth
- Cook for ½ hour on medium heat until the potatoes are ready and the lentils chewable
- Depending on consistency and preference you can add some water
- Add salt, pepper and paprika to your liking
- Towards the end when the potatoes are ready add some vinegar and any other preferred spices.
This is truly one of my favourite meals and its really filling, nutrient and protein-rich as well as healthy and tasty. It is nice to make a batch and then store it in glass containers or lunch boxes to eat throughout the week or even take to work or school.
LENTIL SHEPARDS PIE:
If you want a fancy dinner dish you can also cook up some extra potatoes, add plant-based milk and mash them. Then put the mashed potatoes in a-oven-save dish on top of the lentil dish and bake it in the oven. This way you have made a Lentil Shepard’s pie.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I do and let me know how it went via Instagram (@ecoactivist.lea). Feel free to share this recipe with friends and family and enjoy being filled by delicious plant-power.